2012—WOW! What a year! It’s hard for me to believe one year ago I was still an unpublished novelist. SO much has happened during just one little spin around the sun…but to hit the highlights…since my debut novel, INTO THE FREE, was released in February (David C. Cook), this little book:
• Received a starred review by Publisher’s Weekly (HUGE honor!)
• Spent three weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List
• Landed a repeat spot on the USA Today Top 150 (Bestseller List)
• Became top Mover and Shaker on Amazon.com
• Earned the #1 spot on Amazon.com for paperback fiction and ebook fiction (I’ll never forget watching it slide past Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and 50 Shades of Grey! Unbelievable feeling for little ol’ me sitting on my sofa in my PJs shaking my head in shock.)
• Was selected by Books-a-Million for their national Summer Bookclub
• Was released as an audiobook by Oasis Audio
• Was released in Large Print edition
• Was selected as the number one title on the Top Fiction of 2012 list by Lifeway Booksellers
• Was selected as Top Novel of 2012 by USA TODAY book editor Serena Chase
• Was chosen by Harding University as a community read
• Was selected as a group read by too many wonderful bookclubs, libraries, and schools to mention (THANK YOU!)
• Has been nominated for several prestigious awards (results pending, keep your fingers crossed please…most results announced Fall 2013)
• Was optioned by a Dutch publisher with the foreign edition set to release later this year
• Has been optioned by a production company with high hopes of bringing Millie, Bump, and River to the big screen! (Again, prayers appreciated.)
And that doesn’t count the REAL honors I received this year, as I read emails, text messages, facebook posts, inbox messages, letters, and blogposts from YOU…supportive friends, family members, fellow writers, and readers. It’s been an absolute joy to travel this year to my first author events, writer conferences, and school visits, and I’ve very much enjoyed getting to meet so many wonderful people along the way.
This year, I’m counting my many blessings and hope each of you know…I consider you among my greatest gifts. Thank you for your kindness, your support, your friendship, your smiles, your encouragement, and your willingness to give this little story a shot. I can’t even say you’ve made my dreams come true because, honestly, I never dared to dream so big.
Now, I’m finishing the sequel with each of you in mind and I hope you’ll all enjoy seeing where Millie’s life takes her next. I’m excited about the next phase of her adventure, and I’m eager to share it with you. It’s schedule to be released September 2013, and the working title is WHEN MOUNTAINS MOVE. May you each have a wonderful 2013 and I sure hope your life takes you beyond your wildest dreams.